Welcome to the unique historic hotel at the heart of the medieval Ljubljana. Antiq Palace, Small Luxury Hotels of the World is endowed with a rich historical, architectural and cultural heritage, reaching back to the flourishing roman Emona. Ownership of the palace can be tracked as far as the 16th century, while the buildings deep foundations reach the oldest periods of Ljubljanas history. A part of the building, facing the Vegova street, are leaning directly on the former Roman and later medieval city walls, on the other side, the building opens it’s main facade at the Gosposka (Gentry) street, which by it’s name implies it’s former wealthy status in the town.
The monumental palace, standing in the former noble settlement Novi trg (New Square), was throughout the centuries the home of aristocrats, judges, mayors, vicars, merchants and other eminent citizens. The Lazarini Palace at Gosposka 10 street is today a united building, standing on the medieval parcelling and is merged out of four buildings. It was reconstructed into a united building complex Franz Bernard count of Lamberg.
Today the palace is named after the noble family Lazarini, well-known Venetian merchants, that came to the Carniola province in the 17th century, attained here the title of Barons and became owners of this Ljubljana building in 1806. Originating from Furlanija (Friuli Venezia Giulia = Furlanija -Julijska Krajina) was Antonio Cragnolini, the architect of merit who in the Thirties of the 19.th century gave the palace its new, present, architectural image. The exquisite building entered the new world with it’s renovation in 2008, when the company Antiq Palace Hotel & Spa began developing a »living museum« Antiq Palace, Small Luxury Hotels of the World, in this way the mighty palace reminisces completely all the important periods of Ljubljana’s history.
The surrounding of todays Antiq Palace is equally saturated with history and stories, weaved by the past periods. Three thousand years ago this site was the city of the dead, a Haalstadt period burial ground, with the arrival of the Romans, a Roman road towards the Balkans passed by here as well as drainage channels from the highly developed Emona city. Out of the Roman ruins, on the other side of the city walls the Novi Trg (New Square) emerged, which together with Mestni Trg (City Square) and Stari Trg (Old Square) represent the conception of Stara Ljubljana (Old Ljubljana).
In the medieval records the German Chivalric Order is mentioned as one of the first permanent owners of the building plots on the Novi trg (New Square), which had a private school and baths at the Ljubljanica riverbank. In the 13th century, with the emperor’s permision of Jews from Gorica (Gorizia) and Čedad (Cividale del Friuli) arrived, reminiscent of their settlement place is the name Židovska ulica (Jewish Lane) and Židovska steza (Jewish pathway), where a synagogue was standing once. A very special symbolic place in historiography belongs to Kongresni trg (Congress square), which was named after the congress of the Holy Alliance in Ljubljana in 1821 (The congress of Laibach, 1821), when the European crowns and diplomatic crème de la crème decided the faith of the world after Napoleon. Almost a hundred years later, the same spot was the place of crumbling of the centuries old Austrian empire and the creation of the new State of SHS (Serbs, Croats, Slovenes), which later became Kingdom and finally Republic of Yugoslavia. In the vicinity, the greatest Slovene architect created one of his greatest architectural masterpieces, the National and University Library, standing on the place of the former renaissance princedom palace of a powerful noble family Auersperg (Turjaški). In the almost neighbouring count’s palace since decades dwells the City museum of Ljubljana (Mestni muzej Ljubljana), which presents the museal images of Ljubljana in the past through permanent or temporary exhibitions.
If you would like to find out more about particular former owners of the property, click on the links below:
|1. House (south)||2. House (north)|
|? – 1585 Matija Schlegel, vickar at Črnomelj|
|1585 Barbara Bratec, born Grim|
|1600 – 1611 heirs of Krištof Peer||1608 – 1621 Adam Eppich, merchant, city judge and mayor|
|1612 – 1628 Krištof Peer||1621 – 1681 Epicch widow and heirs|
|1629 – 1664 Krištof Otto, city judge and mayor||1681 – 1683 Janez Gašper pl. Liechtenhaimb, Manager of Idrija mine|
|1665 – 1666 heirs of Krištof Otto||1684 – 1723 Liechtenhaimb’s heirs|
|1667 – 1739 Adam Dinzl pl. Angerburg, provincial accountant and heirs||? – 1717 Franc Adam baron Lichtenthurn|
|? – 1727 Anton Krištof Dinzl pl. Angerburg, senior tax collector (Sheriff/Bailiffs)||1717 – 1719 Vajkard Leopold Ursini count Blagaj|
|1739 Franc Bernard count Lamberg||1723 – 1771 Franc Bernard count Lamberg|
|1771 – 1803 Franc Adam count Lamberg|
|1803 – 1806 Janez Nepomuk count Lamberg|
|1806 Franc Ksaver baron Lazarini|
|1834, 1840, 1853 Franc Feliks baron Lazarini|
|1876, 1901 Henrik baron Lazarini|
|1938 Leopoldina Lazarini and heirs|
|2008 Antiq Palace Hotel & Spa|